- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 carton (48 ounces) chicken broth
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place tomatoes with juices in a blender; cover and process until pureed. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth. Add pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes to allow flavors to blend. If desired, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forSimple Tomato Soup
"easy enough and very good"
"I didn't care for this at all. Guess it's just not my kind of tomato soup."
"I'll FOR SURE do this recipe. really love Tyler Florences' roasted tomato soup recipe-think found on foodnetwork website-love a great heartwarming tomato soup with oooey goooey grilled cheesey sandwich-I'll report results when I unbox my new crockpot-wanna smell it cooking away all day plus think it adds richer flavor-home made seasoned croutons will top it"
"I am so glad I found your recipe and intend to make it tonight. I love a good tomato soup but most of the recipes I've tried have tasted, in my opinion, more like marinara sauce than soup. This one sounds exactly like what I've been looking for. Maybe it's the addition of the chicken broth. I'll probably add heavy cream or half and half but that's just personal preference. Thanks for sharing!"
"Can this soup be can"
"Is the amount of sodium correct for this recipe? Seems waaaaay out of line."