Shredded Green Chili Beef
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 2 large sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) green enchilada sauce
- Mashed potatoes, optional
- Place onions and 3 tablespoons brown sugar in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Combine remaining brown sugar and the next six ingredients; coat beef with mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown beef, 1-2 minutes on each side. Transfer to slow cooker; pour enchilada sauce over beef. Cook, covered, on low until beef is tender, 7-9 hours. Remove beef; shred meat with two forks. Return to slow cooker; heat through. If desired, serve over potatoes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup beef mixture: 278 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 658mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 22, 2019
Grammy I didn’t see any red pepper flakes in the ingredients list
Oct 17, 2018
Yum! What a great recipe! I only made two changes--I left out the red pepper flakes (we are wimps when it comes to spicy food) and I only had two small cans of green enchilada sauce which together equaled less than the 28 ounce can called for. But, the beef was SO GOOD anyway! Absolutely delicious served over mashed potatoes the first time and I'm looking forward to having the rest in soft tacos. Hubby and I loved it and I will definitely be making it again!