Short Rib Cobbler
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds well-trimmed boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1-1/2-in. pieces
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cups beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional beef stock
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- COBBLER TOPPING:
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a shallow bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Dip short ribs in flour mixture to coat all sides; shake off excess.
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion, chopped carrot and celery; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato paste and remaining flour until blended. Gradually stir in stock and wine until smooth. Return beef to pan; stir in poultry seasoning, bay leaf and remaining salt. Bring to a boil.
- Bake, covered, 1-3/4 hours. Stir in pearl onions and carrot pieces. Bake, covered, 30-45 minutes longer or until beef and onions are tender. Skim fat and remove bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, mix biscuit mix and milk just until a soft dough forms. Drop by scant 1/4 cupfuls over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown. Sprinkle with thyme.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 452 calories, 22g fat (6g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 929mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Nov 15, 2014
Making this again tomm. Made this few weeks ago, my guys thought it was awesome, so tender, so tasty. Short ribs are little bit expensive but well worth it!!!
Nov 13, 2014
This dish was fantastic!
Nov 3, 2014
I love love love short ribs ! Very easy and tantalizing !
Oct 23, 2014
Bake at 300 degree for the first 2 1/4 hours then up the temp to 350 degrees when you add the biscuits. Beef short ribs need low and slow to insure real tenderness. Just this one adjustment has never failed me when it comes to stew.
Jan 31, 2014
I had some extra biscuits in the freezer, and this was the perfect recipe to put the leftovers on top. I could not find boneless short ribs, so I used a roast instead. The sauce is what makes this dish, and the smell while it cooks is wonderful!
Jan 7, 2014
very easy to make and very tasty
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.