Polish Poppy Seed Loaves
Traditionally, these loaves were eaten after sundown on Christmas Eve as part of a 12-course meal. At our house, we never can wait that long to bite into the pretty spiral slices of this tender, coffee cake-like treat.—Linda Gronewaller, Hutchinson, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied orange peel
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine eggs, yolks and yeast mixture; add to crumb mixture and mix well. Beat in sour cream and vanilla until smooth.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide in half. Roll out into two 12-in. squares; cover with plastic wrap.
- In a small skillet, cook and stir poppy seeds and butter over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in the raisins, honey and lemon juice. Transfer to a bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Stir in candied orange peel and lemon peel.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high just until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into poppy seed mixture. Spread over each square to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up each square jelly-roll style; pinch seams to seal.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over cooled loaves.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 234 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Polish Poppy Seed Loaves in Taste of Home December/January 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.