Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Red colored sugar
- Red and green candied cherries, quartered
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic. Chill overnight or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough into a 12x10-in. rectangle, about 1/8-in. thick. Cut into 2-in. squares. In each square, make 1-in. slits in each corner. Bring every other corner up into center to form a pinwheel; press lightly. Sprinkle cookies with red sugar and press a candied cherry piece into the center of each.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Cool 1-2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 69 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 26, 2014
they aren't that hard to make and they taste and look good
Nov 28, 2012
next time I am making cookies those are the first I,m making
Feb 8, 2012
These were tasty but the prep time was quick long, a lot of work for such a small cookie but they look very festive.
Dec 7, 2011
I made these, but was running out of time, as we all do around the holidays, so I used a snowflake cookie cutter and they come out amazing!! Lots of compliments , I sprinkled them with red & green sugar before baking. I also add a 1/2 teaspoon more almond extract.
Aug 26, 2010
Much easier to make than I anticipated and I received many compliments.
Dec 8, 2009
These are great for children to make and bake with supervision, and they are tasty and melt in your mouth.