- 5 large sweet red peppers
- 8 banana peppers (about 1 pound)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons canning salt
- Cut red and banana peppers into strips, discarding seeds. Pack peppers into five hot 1-pint jars to within 1/2 in. of the top. Divide the onion, garlic and oil among jars.
- In a large saucepan, bring water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil. Carefully ladle hot liquid over pepper mixture, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot liquid. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 5 pints.
Reviews forPickled Sweet Peppers
"This recipe is very special to me- We used this recipe the first time my husband and I ever canned anything- easy and nothing compares or come close to how good these taste! Everyone thought we were canning pros! PERFECTION! We sat by the pool and ate these right out of the jar!"
"Hi Broberts, the oil gets distributed among the jars. It's listed in the last sentence of the first step."
"What are you supposed to do with the canola oil?"