Original Brown Butter Refrigerator Cookies
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min./batch
MakesAbout 10-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until golden brown, about 7-9 minutes (do not burn). Remove from the heat; stir in brown sugar until blended.
- Transfer to a large bowl, cool slightly. Whisk in 1 egg at a time. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans.
- Shape into four 8-in. rolls; wrap each in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° just until set, 5-7 minutes. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 44 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 11, 2020
I liked this recipe. It caught my attention because it was a contest winner from 1970. It's a very different cookie to me because it is more to the flour side than it is to the sugar side. The browning of the butter really chanes things up. I shared it at work and everyone enjoyed them.