Orange Marmalade Breakfast Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
Makes12 servings (1-1/2 cups syrup)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 24 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 jar (12 ounces) orange marmalade
- 6 large eggs
- 2-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/4 cups maple syrup
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- Spread butter over one side of each bread slice. Arrange half of the bread slices overlapping in a greased 3-qt. or 13x9-in. baking dish, buttered side down. Spread marmalade over bread slices; top with remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg until blended; pour over bread. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-50 minutes.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. In a small saucepan, combine maple syrup, orange juice and zest; heat through. Serve with casserole.
Nutrition Facts1 piece with 2 tablespoons syrup: 356 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Apr 1, 2019
What a lovely dish! This casserole was so delicious! I served this over brunch and it was a huge hit. Everyone loved the bright flavors of the orange. I loved how easy it was to put together. I made it the night before and baked before serving. The sauce was easy and so good with it!