- 6 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 unpeeled orange, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar and beat until thick and lemon-colored. Blend in orange juice and zest. Sift together flour and salt; add to batter. Beat until smooth. In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. While beating, add the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoons at a time. Beat until stiff. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the batter; then fold in remaining whites. Spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan, smoothing top. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Invert pan over a narrow-neck bottle to cool.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, combine water, chopped orange and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook until very thick and almost all the water has evaporated. Remove from the heat and blend in confectioners' sugar and butter. Run a knife between the pan and cake. Turn out onto a platter. Spread warm glaze over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forOrange-Glazed Sponge Cake
"Love, love, love this cake! I have made it dozens of times and never had a failure."