Hubbard Squash Pie
My mom made this pie—never pumpkin—each Thanksgiving, and everyone looked forward to it. I have fond memories of my dad cutting up this hulking big blue hubbard squash on the kitchen counter and cooking it for her to make the pies. A more manageable butternut squash will deliver an equally delicate-tasting pie! —Patti Ann Christian, Ararat, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie crust
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups mashed cooked Hubbard or butternut squash
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sweetened whipped cream and additional nutmeg, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unroll crust into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edge. In a large bowl, whisk together egg, squash, milk, sugar, molasses, cornstarch and salt. Pour into the crust; sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake pie on a lower oven rack 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 325°; bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack; serve or refrigerate within 2 hours. If desired, top with sweetened whipped cream and additional ground nutmeg.