Heart’s Delight Cookies
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Coarse sugar, optional
- 54 ribbons (16 inches x 1/8 inch)
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. While cookies are still warm, poke two holes into each cookie with a straw. When cookies are completely cooled, thread ribbon through holes and tie into a bow; trim ribbon if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 142 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Oct 27, 2011
These are really good cookies. I used a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter since its fall, and used orange colored sugar. I think they would be good with buttercream frosting as well. I love that they make such a big batch because when you have a few kids, a small batch doesn't last very long.
Mar 18, 2009
This was a wonderful recipe. I made these for a bridal shower and used the bride's colors for the ribbons. Can be used for any occasion.
Feb 13, 2009
These are the best! This is the only sugar cookie recipe I will use from now on! Didn't have the ribbon, so I decorated with frosting and colored sugar! And wow! Thanks so much for sharing!
Feb 11, 2009
This was such an easy cookie to make. I baked several different recipes to put on a tray for an office Valentines party and everyone commented on how pretty this cookie looked on the platter. I will be making this one over and over.~Bettina
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.