Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until fluffy. Gradually beat in flour. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° until lightly browned, 16-20 minutes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine condensed milk and chocolate chips. Microwave, uncovered, on high until chips are melted, 30-60 seconds; stir until smooth. Stir in extract. Spread over the shortbread. Sprinkle with almonds and press down. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into squares.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 115 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 17, 2013
No fail here. Simple flavors
May 23, 2012
I made a pan of this for a friend and she took it to work. Now her coworkers want it at every pot luck. Easy and delicious. I also made a truffle with the same recipe. I took the shortbread dough and rolled into 3/4 inch balls. Baked them for about 8 minutes. I prepared the chocolate but let it cool for a bit to make it easy to mold around ball. I then rolled that in ground almonds. I chilled then and they were delicious truffles.
Nov 16, 2011
I added a tsp. of almond extract instead of 1/2. Also the second time around sprinkled toffee crumbles on top of the shortbread before baking. So good!
Dec 6, 2009
At Christmas time I substitute peppermint extract for the almond extract and crushed peppermint candy for the almonds. Beautiful.
Aug 8, 2009
This is just fabulous! It did not last long in my house. It was really simple and easy to make.