- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 serrano peppers, sliced
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (1 inch), coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 medium sweet onions, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Lemon wedges
- In a large bowl, toss chicken with lemon juice and salt; let stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile, place water, yogurt, herbs, peppers, ginger and garlic in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture; refrigerate, covered, 2 hours.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Brush onions with 2 tablespoons oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Thread chicken onto six metal or soaked wooden skewers. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 10-12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning occasionally and brushing with remaining oil during the last 4 minutes. Serve with grilled onions and lemon wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCilantro & Lemon Marinated Chicken Kabobs
"This was very good! Simple dish with lots of flavor!"
"My husband and I both love Indian food and these skewers were fabulous. For a weeknight meal, I made the marinade the night before, added the chicken before leaving for work, and was ready to start grilling when I got home. chicken was fine with the extra marinating time. Flavorful and reminiscent of tandoori chicken."
"I tried these out on a crowd. Because they were the grand prize winner, I wasn't worried. Boy were they delicious!! SO much flavor! I followed the recipe to the letter, making 2 batches. Next time I'll soak a few toothpicks when I do my wooden skewers and put a couple in each side of the onion slices to hold...I lost a couple in the grill. Soooo good!! Everyone raved! Thank you, Moumita!"