Chocolate-Dipped Maple Logs
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
MakesAbout 6 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and maple flavoring. Combine the flour, oats and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into 1/2-in.-wide logs. Cut into 2-in. pieces. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 15-18 minutes or until set and very lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and milk; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each cookie into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Roll in walnuts. Place on waxed paper until set.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 116 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 13, 2013
These are the best cookies and so much fun to make. I now make these every year during the holidays and they go in a flash. Great recipe!!!
Nov 21, 2011
Very tasty little cookies! The maple flavor is delicious, and the texture melts in your mouth. I did find that these spread some during baking and didn't really keep their log shape.....they turned out more like small rectangles. Perhaps next time I'll chill them for awhile before baking to help them retain their shape better. Still, very good!
Oct 3, 2011
I did 4 times by now, and they are astonishingly good, for that simplicity.... They taste better after 2-3 days, coz they will melt in your mouth... I tried also with sprinkles instead of the walnuts, for Christmas.
Jan 9, 2011
What a unique flavor for the holidays. I love everything maple and you'll want to make these over and over again to use up your bottle of maple flavoring!
Jan 2, 2010
Good recipe and easy to make. I also made some that were not dipped in chocolate, for a lighter cookie. I will make these again!