Can’t-Eat-Just-One Cinnamon Rolls
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup instant vanilla pudding mix (half of a 3.4-ounce package)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water. In a large bowl, beat milk and pudding mix on low speed 1 minute. Let stand 1 minute or until soft-set. Add egg, melted butter, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For filling, in a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Punch down dough; divide in half. Turn 1 portion of dough onto a lightly floured surface; roll into an 18x10-in. rectangle. Brush with half of the melted butter to within 1/4 in. of edges; sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices. Repeat with remaining dough and filling ingredients.
- Place all slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan, cut side down. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in vanilla, water and enough confectioners' sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread over warm rolls. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 cinnamon roll: 199 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 25, 2019
I made these as directed except I used banana pudding instead of vanilla because that's what I had on hand. My family thought the mystery flavor was apple until I revealed my secret. Either way, they LOVED them! They especially loved how moist they were and that would be true no matter what pudding flavor you used.
Jul 8, 2019
my kids beg for these. It is worth the time that it takes. My kids have gotten involved and are now helping me with making them. Baking Memories!
Mar 29, 2019
I've been using this recipe for years. It is consistently good and far better than other recipes I used before it. One thing I love is that these rolls are soft coming out of the oven. I also love that it uses real butter. The frosting recipe is so easy to make! A complete winner and I've made them a half dozen times.
Dec 16, 2018
How may I print this recipe. Family coming for Xmas. This will be an awesome brunch addition once everyone is up. The aroma should make that happen ?
Nov 28, 2018
Has anyone tried to convert this recipe to use a bread machine??
Nov 12, 2018
This was the first time I ever tried homemade cinnamon rolls and I followed the recipe exactly. We were all very disappointed in these. Somewhat on the dry side, but they lacked the cinnamon gooeyness that you'd expect from cinnamon rolls. The icing was very sweet too. I think the cinnamon/sugar/butter filling should be increased and the frosting recipe cut in half. But I won't be making them again and will look for a better recipe.
Jul 21, 2018
These rolls are fantastic. They had a great flavor and came out looking as great as they tasted. Like the recipe stated the dough was sticky when trying to roll out so be prepared to use all of the remaining flour. I did cut back on the frosting part but that is a family preference. I will definitely make this recipe again.
May 9, 2018
If possible , how would you freeze these ?
May 7, 2018
I made these exactly as the recipe said except I used a cream cheese frosting to finish them off. They turned out fantastic. I had no problems with the dough sticking but I do have a dough attachment on my mixer. Eating just 1? Is really hard to do. OMG, they're so good! This is my new cinnamon roll recipe from now on. Thanks!!
Apr 21, 2018
A traditional cinnamon roll. Mouth watering delicious! Requires a bit work though. In addition to the prep time, there is close to 2 hours additional time waiting for the dough to rise. If you're not in a hurry, this is a great recipe! This one is going to the recipe box.