- 4 to 6 unsalted matzo crackers
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with foil; line the foil with parchment paper. Arrange crackers in pan; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over crackers.
- Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Stir in almonds; spread over top. Cool for 1 hour.
- Break into pieces. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1 pound.
Reviews forAlmond Crunch
"This recipe is so easy and so delicious! I use lightly salted matzo and you get that salty/sweet combo. Yum!"
"WOW!!!!Supper tasting, supper easy & cheap to make. What more could you ask of a recipe! A way to make it cheaper yet & still taste the same is just use unsalted saltines instead of matzo crackers. This is definitely a saver recipe."
"Always looking for something different to make I stumbled across this recipe last Christmas. It was so popular with my family I made it 8 times. The recipe is so easy and with very few ingredients. I just made batch number 1 for this season. I was smart and purchased more than one box of the Matzo crackers as they can be hard to find."
"I stumbled upon this recipe in December and have not made it about 5-6 times for various parties, etc. I most recently made it for a superbowl party. Everytime it has been a HUGE hit w/tons of people asking me for the recipe. I did modify the recipe to use regular saltines as I couldn't find the matzo crackers. I used low salt one time and regular salted another and to be honest, I think the salted were even more popular -- maybe something about that sweet/salty combination. Regardless, this is a great recipe and super easy to make to boot! :-)"
"Very good recipe. My husband loved it. I actually made as a gift to give to the attorney I work for who is Jewish. He in turn gave some to his mother who raved about it and wanted the recipe too."
"This was an easy recipe and everyone loved it. I would make it again. My neighboor said it was better than..."