- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the zucchini, sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually beat into zucchini mixture until blended. Fold in walnuts if desired.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and mix well. Frost cake. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Reviews forZucchini Walnut Cake
"Made exactly as is..using 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup of oil....a few dashes of nutmeg also......very good...tasty and did not even need frosting...cooled and sprinkled with powdered sugar.....great way to use up abundance of zucchini.....good as a breakfast or snack."
"Absolutely delicious! The only thing I changed was replacing half the oil with applesauce and adding a couple shakes of nutmeg. Yum!!"
"oops double posted by accident"
"I was looking for recipes to use up the bushels of zucchini coming out of my garden when I found this one. It is WONDERFUL. I did tweak it a very little. I used half white sugar and half packed brown sugar and added one teaspoon of nutmeg. My husband does not like cream cheese anything so I skipped the frosting. Even without frosting it is amazing. It is a very moist cake with a texture and flavor my husband just loved. He ate about 1/4th of it already and it only came out of the oven about 6 hours ago. Will definitely be shredding zucc's up to freeze so I can make this for the family gatherings at Thanksgiving and Christmas."
"I don't rate a recipe that often! This was rate worthy! Absolutely loved it and will make again and again!! Thank You!"
"I added a little bit of cocoa to the recipe and the cake was great! My kids love it. :)"
"First time I ever heard of it ad made it .Very easy to make the taste was delicious."
"i have made this recipe since 1997 when i lived in Montana.....which always has an abundance of zucchini!! the only thing i have added is freshly grated nutmeg.....about 5 grates and its good! living in NYC now and this flies off the table at work!!! it is in my top 10 list! in the summer i buy my zucchini and shred it in 2 cup servings in freezer bags for the wintertime.....Amazing Recipe!!!!"