- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups frosting of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Yellow Layer Cake
Sort By :
"The cake was amazing, very moist like it says if you're looking for a sweet cake this is it"
"This cake is good. I have used it as a plain frosted cake, and I have made it into a poke cake. I will keep using this recipe unless I find something better."
"I wanted a good, basic layer cake recipe and this one served me well. I actually added some mini chocolate chips to the batter; I saved out a tablespoon of the flour and mixed it with the chips before folding them in at the very end of mixing and this helped them stay evenly dispersed in the finished cake. To make sure that the cake came out of the pan, I lined the bottom of the pans with parchment paper and generously greased and floured the pan sides and parchment paper......it worked!"
"I've made a lot of cakes and this cake is disappointing. Not really any yellow color and not much flavor. It's crumbly and the whole outer edge has a crust much like an angel food cake has. It wouldn't release from the pan at all. My 12 year old son was pretty upset with his first attempt at a cake."
"this is an awesome recipe"