Instead of turning to a boxed cake mix, why not try your hand at this easy recipe for a basic yellow cake? You just can't beat the homemade goodness!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups frosting of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Yellow Layer Cake in Complete Guide to Baking 2004, p94
Reviews for Yellow Layer Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review