These tender cookie pillows, filled with a delicious walnut mixture, are my husband's favorite. He says it wouldn't be Christmas without them. —Nancy Kostrej, Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
Featured In: 24 Low-Carb Christmas Recipes
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 package (3 ounces) cold cream cheese
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cut butter and cream cheese into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Blend mixture together until smooth dough forms, about 3 minutes. Pat into a rectangle; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. For filling, combine the walnuts, sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Unwrap dough and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 17-1/2x10-in. rectangle; cut into 2-1/2-in. squares. Place a level teaspoonful of filling in the center of each square. Moisten edges with water; fold in half and seal with a fork. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush with egg.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 28 cookies.
Originally published as Walnut-Filled Pillows in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p34
Reviews for Walnut-Filled Pillows
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 22, 2011
"I enjoyed making these beautiful things and enjoyed it even more when I saw the look on people's faces once they took a bite. Very unique kind of cookie ;)"
Reviewed Apr. 14, 2009
"like moms' croation horns"