- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 package (3 ounces) cold cream cheese
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cut butter and cream cheese into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Blend mixture together until smooth dough forms, about 3 minutes. Pat into a rectangle; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. For filling, combine the walnuts, sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Unwrap dough and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 17-1/2-in. x 10-in. rectangle; cut into 2-1/2-in. squares. Place a level teaspoonful of filling in the center of each square. Moisten edges with water; fold in half and seal with a fork. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush with egg.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 28 cookies.
Originally published as Walnut-Filled Pillows in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p34
Reviews for Walnut-Filled Pillows
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 22, 2011
"I enjoyed making these beautiful things and enjoyed it even more when I saw the look on people's faces once they took a bite. Very unique kind of cookie ;)"
Reviewed Apr. 14, 2009
"like moms' croation horns"