- 3 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons clear or regular vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #32 star tip. Transfer meringue to bag. Pipe 1-1/4-in. diameter cookies 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets. Remove meringues from paper; store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Meringue Cookies
Sort By :
"I used almond extract instead of vanilla because of personal taste, but they came out perfectly. I think I might try coconut extract next time. I divided it into 3 before piping and used gel food coloring to dye them. These look so pretty for my daughter's birthday party."
"its a yummy treat, Everyone will love it"
"super easy, make sure you warm the eggs and beat them until very firm. Excellent taste and look pretty on a cookie plate."
"I gave this four stars only because I've never made meringues before and have nothing to compare with, but this was so simple. I was looking for a diabetic-friendly sweets recipe for my dad and this one turned out even better because I forgot to add the salt, but it still tastes great."