- 3 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons clear or regular vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #32 star tip. Transfer meringue to bag. Pipe 1-1/4-in.-diameter cookies 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets. Remove meringues from paper; store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Meringue Cookies
"Lovely..i prefer soft cookies to crunchy, but that involves fat. These have no fat, give a satisfying crunch, and taste good, too!! Pretty for a wedding shower. I made them for a baby shower where there were twins..a boy and a girl.i did half pale pink half pale blue with coordinating sanding sugar, everyone loved them!!"
"These are my daughters favorite! I love to make them. Its great that they are fat free."
"Great no-fail recipe. Tried the recipe using almond extract in one batch and peppermint extract in another batch. Great each time."
"I used rose water instead of vanilla - perfectly unusual & delicious!"
"Very good, light & crisp. Added mini chocolate chips as that is the way Grandma made them!"