Vanilla Custard Pie Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar and butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Pour into crust.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Custard Pie
Sort By :
This was the BEST pie I'd ever tasted! Anyone ever looking for a custard pie close to a Hubig pie? This is it! Only difference was the crust and meringue on top but that gave it even more flavor. It's saved and my new go to recipe when I'm craving custard pie!!!
I made this recipe and thought it was really good but there wasn't enough pie for the crust. Meaning, if I make it again, I will double the filling part of the recipe.