- 1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar and butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Pour into crust.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Custard Pie
"This is a great recipe, I made it in a pre baked pie crust,turned out good,I usually make my meringue with 3 egg whites I think next time I'll do that,would definitely make again."
"I made this recipe and thought it was really good but there wasn't enough pie for the crust. Meaning, if I make it again, I will double the filling part of the recipe."