Turkey with Herb Stuffing Recipe
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup finely chopped celery with leaves
- 1 package (12 ounces) unseasoned bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme and savory
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- Additional butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute onions and celery in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread cubes, basil, thyme, savory, salt, pepper and broth; toss to mix. Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate.
- Skewer openings of turkey; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for turkey and 165° for stuffing. Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 45-60 minutes or until heated through.
- When the turkey begins to brown, baste with drippings (if turkey browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil). Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 6-8 servings (10 cups stuffing).
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Turkey with Herb Stuffing(2)
Sort By :
she didn't say she made it in a covered wagon. she said she rode in one.
I have not made this recipe so I can't rate it but I do have one question. Where did your great-grandmother get a package of bread cubes and a can of chcken broth in a covered wagon? Actually it sounds like a good recipe except I never use packaged bread cubes and I make my own broth for my stuffing.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Turkey >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Roasted Turkey >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Stuffed Turkey >
- Stuffing Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Main Dishes >
- Thanksgiving Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Side Dishes >
- Thanksgiving Turkey >