Not all stuffed peppers have ground beef and tomato sauce. Ground turkey and a white sauce give this variation wonderful down-home flavor and appeal. Julie Grose from Lompoc, California shares this recipe.
Recommended: 95 Tasty Low-Carb Dinner Ideas
- 2 large green peppers, tops and seeds removed
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, cook peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook the turkey, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Return turkey mixture to skillet. Stir in tomato and 2 tablespoons cheese; heat through. Spoon into peppers; sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Place in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are tender and filling is hot. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Turkey-Stuffed Peppers in Taste of Home August/September 2000, p10
Reviews for Turkey-Stuffed Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 30, 2012
"Prep of 30 min is with 2 people or someone really good at multi-tasking in the kitchen. However with 2 people you can get it done in 30 and almost all the dishes done too."