- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves or fruit preserves of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, oil, vanilla and butter flavoring. In another bowl, whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Fill each cookie with about 1/4 teaspoon preserves. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Thumbprint Butter Cookies
Sort By :
"very good cookies! can be made into smaller balls of dough on cookie sheets, i used my metal tsp bottom to make the holes in the middle, works better but you need to do it again halfway through baking. They look beautiful when filled with your favorite jams! i used my homemade freezer jam! Will definately be a keeper in my house!"
"Delicious cookies. The recipe didn't mention the necessity to chill prior to rolling, but my dough was so soft I had to refrigerate for about an hour. I didn't know if the finished cookies would need to be refrigerated, but I did anyway just to be safe. This recipe is definitely a keeper for us, but I would like to know if final refrigeration is necessary."
"Absolutely fantastic!!!!! I made a batch to take to my teacher and all of them were impressed!!! Even the Home Ec teacher said they were marvelous!!!!!"
"Since finding this in the magazine it has become a yearly favorite!"