Swirled Mint Cookies Recipe
No one will believe that these rich and buttery cookies from Lois Hill of Thomasville, North Carolina are 'light,' but they are! And with their colorful swirls, each one of these minty sugary bites is unique.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter, softened
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 to 20 drops red food coloring
- 10 to 20 drops green food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butters and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into thirds. Stir red food coloring into one portion of dough; stir green food coloring into another portion. Leave remaining dough plain. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Divide each portion of dough into four equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 12-in. rope. Place a red, a green and a plain rope next to each other. Cut through all three ropes at 1-in. intervals, forming sets of three differently colored doughs. Repeat.
- Roll each set of doughs into a ball; place balls 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/8-in. thickness with a glass dipped in remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Swirled Mint Cookies in Light & Tasty December/January 2007, p49
Reviews for Swirled Mint Cookies(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 8, 2012
This cookie was a pretty addition to cookie platters but made a crispier cookie than we like and was pretty labor intensive with the tri-color dough when your trying to make many different kinds of cookies during the holidays.
More Recipe Collections
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Cookies >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Holiday Cookie Recipes >
- Low Carb Desserts >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >