Spicy Chicken Tomato Soup Recipe
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 white or yellow corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Place the tortilla strips on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 5 minutes; turn. Bake 5 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf from soup. Serve with tortilla strips. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Spicy Chicken Tomato Soup(11)
Sort By :
This is one of my favorite recipes. I've been making it since it first came out in the magazine. I agree that I like that I can tweak it to fit what I have on hand. But I love it the original way. I usually double the recipe and freeze portions for later. Everyone I've ever served it to has raved about it. I hate cutting onions so when I'm buying the frozen corn I just pick up a bag of frozen diced onion too.
This is a fantastic recipe that I have enjoyed on cold, wintry days!
We enjoyed this meal... I made the higher spice version and added a little more corn (as that's the size of the bag I had).
The chicken was tender and delicious and the flavor of the soup was great. Modifications for next time? A little more chicken, but cook it in breast form then shred it before mealtime, and serve with sour cream.
Thanks for the recipe!
My coworkers beg me to make this & bring it to work for their birthdays. But I have to triple the recipe because everyone loves it so much!
I am a single male and made this the other night. Delicious! Since there were no green leafy vegetables in it or any other green I fixed a couple of chicken tacos to go with it. I like the fact that all of this flavor comes from a very few major ingredients and can be altered any number of ways. batemanr
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >
- Mexican Soups >
- Simple Soup Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chicken Soup >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >