- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Add sour cream and vanilla; mix well. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a well-floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, salt and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread over cookies. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Sour Cream Cutout Cookies
Sort By :
These cookies are pretty good. I do like the texture, but they aren't very flavorful. Add more vanilla for sure and maybe 1/2 cup sugar. They are also VERY STICKY!! I refrigerated them for over a day and only worked with 1/3 of the dough at a time. Within 10 minutes of working, everything was sticking. If I managed to roll out the dough without a problem, it would stick to the cutter. If the dough rolled, and the cutter cut, the cutout stuck to the VERY WELL floured counter. The dough raised in the oven so much that the shape of the cookie became distorted. Definitely do not use intricate cutters for this recipe.
The cookies were dry and did not have much flavor. I also did not care for how much they raised.
I have made these cookies several times they are always a big hit..=) I do just get lazy and buy the store bought icing its not as sweet but still delicious
everyones favorite cookie! I am required to bring these to every family gathering!
We love these cookies!!