- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Serve on buns. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Sloppy Joes Sandwiches
Sort By :
"This was great! Very easy and tasty. I added cayenne pepper for an extra kick. I will be making these again!"
"To counter some of the sweetness, I added a tablespoon of sriracha sauce and a teaspoon of chili powder. In addition, i also added a 1/4 cup dried vegetable medley and tablespoon of dried onion in place of onion power. It gave it a wonderful kick. This is great go-to recipe for a quick dinner. Very tasty."
"Very good. I can see where some people think it is too sweet or too ketchupy, but as others have said, it's a great base to make adjustments depending on your palate. I like it well enough though, but might play around with the ingredients."
"This was very good! Husband added 1/4 cup of salsa to it. Texture was good, and like someone else said, it's a good base. I'm sure he'll start experimenting, using some hints from the reviews. Thanks, all!"
"This is a good "base" for a good sloppy joe recipe, but as-written, it's waaaaayy too ketchupy.. I doubled the onion/garlic powers, mustard (1 tsp yellow and 1 tsp dijon), and worcestershire. There's definitely some modifications needed for this recipe, which is fine for me...but for someone like my mom who doesn't care for cooking, this recipe would be a fail. She was looking for a good sloppy joe recipe and I'll give her this recipe...WITH my modifications."