- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- Food coloring of your choice, optional
- Colored edible glitter and nonpareils
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water and extracts until mixture forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 325° for 15-18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a large bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar and milk. Divide into small bowls; tint with food coloring if desired. Gently spread over cookies. Decorate as desired. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Shortbread Ornament Cookies
Sort By :
I just made these with my 3 sons and this was by far, the easiest dough to work with when making cutouts. This will be a new traditional Christmas recipe in our house!
I had to add more water, as it would not come together with only 2 tbsps.
I don't know how it tastes yet, they're still in the oven, but this dough is sticky yicky and hard to work with! I tried adding more flour while I rolled it out, and water, and refrigerated it for at least an hour. So far they look okay out of the oven, but the dough was extremely goopy and sticky.
I like this is is not to sweet. When you put the icing on it, it is a great cookie..
Due to the richness of the dough, it is difficult to work with. Chilling the dough for a bit helps.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cookie Frosting >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Frosting Recipes >
- Gift Recipes >
- Holiday Cookie Recipes >