- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat in butter. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to batter and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, combine the cocoa and butter. Combine the water and coffee granules; add to cocoa mixture. Stir in sugar until smooth. Frost brownies. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Rich Chocolate Brownies
Sort By :
"A richer brownie recipe for when you have a taste for frosted brownies. I don't usually like coffee in brownies but this was really good,"
"With the exception of the frosting recipe, this is the Hershey's Best Brownies I have been making for years. When I made them the first time, my husband said don't bother making any other recipe!"
"I just made these today, and honestly, this brownie recipe is nothing special or exceptional to me. They were no better than any other brownie recipe I have made. Not bad. Just not as good as I was expecting according to the reviews. I guess I am still in search of a really awesome dense brownie recipe."
"These brownies are wonderful! Moist and fudgy and the frosting is delicious. Can't taste the coffee in the frosting; it just serves to enhance the flavor of the chocolate. I doubled the brownie recipe for a 9x13 pan (and added 1 Tbl. of vanilla) but only 1.5 times the frosting recipe (adding 2 tsps. vanilla) because it makes so much. Still baked for 30 minutes. Heavenly!"
"Recipe doubles well. I, too, questioned the small amount of flour (1/2 cup) in the regular recipe, but, wanting to trust the recipe as written, only doubled it to 1 cup for my double recipe version. It was perfect! Used 1 tsp. instant espresso in the doubled brownie recipe. It added a nice depth of flavor. Also used 1/2 tsp. instant espresso in the double recipe for the frosting instead of regular coffee. Needed an extra TBSP. of water in doubled recipe of frosting for spreadable consistency. Baked in 25 minutes in 9x13 at 350. Really great recipe! Thank you for sharing. I think this will now be my "go to" brownie recipe."