- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook carrots and onion in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, rice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 13 minutes.
- Stir in yellow squash and zucchini. Cover and simmer 6-10 minutes longer or until rice and vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Rice with Summer Squash
Sort By :
My family loved this dish even though summer squash not a favorite. I added garlic and sautéed the carrots and onion in a out 1 tbs of olive oil and butter. I added more and chicken broth because everyone loves rice. Would definitely make this again.
Just wondering if this would have been healthier to have cooked with brown rice and water rather than white rice and chicken broth . . . . Very tasty.
My family loves this recipe. It's simple and easy to make. Like others said, I substitute brown rice and I also add a little bit of garlic.
This was surprisingly delicious. I substituted a wild rice blend for the long grain and it was very tasty, I will be adding this to my rotation for sure, even my toddler loved this recipe.
Very good--even for children!