For a tropical taste guests are sure to find delightful, serve this crunchy coconut-coated shrimp with a sweet sauce. “This is an impressive appetizer or can be served as a main course,” says Debbi Barate of Seward, Pennsylvania. “For another easy dipping sauce, combine a favorite jam with some crushed red pepper flakes.”
- 1 pound uncooked jumbo shrimp (about 12), peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 jar (12 ounces) pineapple preserves
- 1 tablespoon frozen nonalcoholic pina colada mix, thawed
- Starting with the tail, make a slit down the inner curve of each shrimp; press lightly to flatten. In three separate shallow bowls, place the flour, egg whites and coconut. Coat the shrimp with flour; dip into egg whites, then coat with the coconut.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine preserves and pina colada mix. Serve with shrimp. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Fried Shrimp in Simple & Delicious November/December 2006, p46
Reviews for Quick Coconut Shrimp
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review