- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 teaspoon blue food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions for cupcakes.
- In a small bowl, combine 1-1/3 cups batter and blue food coloring. In another bowl, combine 1-1/3 cups batter and red food coloring. Leave remaining batter plain.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups with 2 tablespoons red batter, 2 tablespoons plain batter and 2 tablespoons blue batter. Bake at 350° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with vanilla frosting; decorate with sprinkles. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Patriotic Cupcakes
"Most definitely awesome!! If you desire to impress, make these. Will take advice from someone who commented here about using 1 Tbsp. each color batter vs. 2 Tbsp. I particularly do not like batter running over side of pan Just makes a **mess**. THANK YOU for sharing this recipe. J."
"These were a huge hit for kids and adults at one of our 4th of July parties. There was so much food and desserts and this one still took the cake, literally! It is a little time consuming to put each colored batter into each muffin liner. But, they were fun to make and delicious. I would definitely make this recipe again!"
"My grandson was born July3. He loves these on his special day."
"Everyone was impressed with these cupcakes but they were so easy to make"
"[quote user="mamabear223"]great idea, but 2 tbs. Is way too much. Next time maybe 2 tsp. [/quote] The recipe actually calls for one half teaspoon of each color. [quote]"