Panko bread crumbs have a coarser texture than ordinary bread crumbs, which you can also use to coat the tomatoes. However, the panko crumbs will give them a uniquely light and crispy texture. —Jacquelynne Stine, Las Vegas, Nevada
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 5 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In three separate shallow bowls, place the flour, eggs and bread crumbs. Dip tomatoes in flour, then in eggs; coat with bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry tomatoes, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Fried Green Tomatoes in Taste of Home
Reviews for Panko Fried Green Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 3, 2014
"These are the best fried green tomatoes I have every had"
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2013
"I love fried green tomatoes and these are GREAT!"
Reviewed Aug. 7, 2011
"this is a simple an very easy recipe and tasted great"