- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 pound ground beef
- 6 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Dash pepper
- 2/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a small bowl, combine the onion, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls; place on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink; drain.
- Meanwhile, arrange bread in a single layer in an ungreased shallow 3-cup baking dish. Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning and pepper; spread over bread. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese.
- In a bowl, combine the spaghetti sauce, water and garlic; add meatballs. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 3 servings.
Reviews for Meatball Sub Casserole
Sort By :
3 cup baking dish?? Did you mean a 3 quart baking dish?
Yum, yum, yum! This was a huge hit at the "hotdish" potluck at our church. There was virtually nothing left to bring home; I don't think my husband even got a serving before it was all gone. I probably won't make this too often, as we're trying to eat healthier, but for special splurges it definitely is worth it.
I too had to hunt down this recipe on the Internet. I'm glad it's here at TOH so I could save it. I have made this two times before. Each time I've used different sauces made by the same company, Balducci's out of Chicago. One sauce is a Vodka sauce and the other had a bit of a kick in flavor, it was their Arrabbiata sauce. This dish is easy to prepare and delicious to eat. Everyone I have served it to went back for seconds and thirds. I have also embellished the meatballs by using grass fed beef, ground pork and Italian sausage mixed. I also use a 9 x 13. Any meatballs left over are a bonus for a future dish.
3 cup baking dish?
Jill the original recipe is awesome, you're right! Your post sent me on a hunt to find it & I did! They've renamed the recipe to Baked Simple Meatball Stroganoff.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner for Two >
- Dinner For Two Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meatball Recipes >