- 1/2 cup seven-grain cereal
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 6 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 2 eggs
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine cereal and water. Cover and cook on high for 4 minutes (mixture will be liquidy). Stir in molasses and butter. Let stand until mixture cools to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt and yeast. Add cereal mixture to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Makeover Seven-Grain Cereal Bread in Healthy Cooking April/May 2012, p28
Reviews for Makeover Seven-Grain Cereal Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 11, 2013
i have made this recipe many times and i cant begin to tell how much i enjoy eating this fabulous bread especially toasted..thank you Maggiee
Reviewed Apr. 8, 2012
I'm not much of a baker, but this turned out delicious: sweet, nutty, and light. Yum!