- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each minced fresh basil, oregano and rosemary
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 4 large plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Dash pepper
- In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until lightly browned; sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms until tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onions into pastry shell; sprinkle with herbs and cheese.
- Top with mushrooms; sprinkle with olives. Arrange tomato slices over top; sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Italian Tomato Pie
Sort By :
"The whole idea of the tomato pie is great, but the mozzerlla cheese ruined it. I'm going turn the recipe into a frittata the next time I make it. Will follow the recipe & use beatten eggs, half & half & Italian shredded cheese instead of the mozzerlla."
"An Awesome dish!! I would recommend doubling the cheese, dividing it proportionally, adding a little Cheyenne (I did this as i mixed all of the herbs and spices together before sprinkling on the layers). Also, I would suggest 1/2-1/3 cup flour sprinkled over the tomatoes. I found that this helped the pie from becoming "soupy." An Excellent Dish!!! I have made Four times. and will Keep making For Sure!!!!"