- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup drained canned crushed pineapple
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine bananas and pineapple.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with banana mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in coconut and walnuts.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Hummingbird Cupcakes
"I liked this recipe. I didn't have bananas though so I subbed applesauce and a little oil. They still tasted good!"
"I made this recipe exactly as written and it was wonderful. I did not drain the pineapple and only frosted some and they were so fricken good. I make food like this all the time and give most of it away to friends and family after I've had my fill. I equally loved the comments and reviews of this recipe because I am so sick and tired of the calorie police, I agree with each and every one of the reviews that ask them to move on to another recipe or another recipe site. But I'm not going to say another word on the subject because nothing any of us can say will shut them up, EVER :)"
"Absolutely wonderful. Very moist and flavorful. I have an old hummingbird cake recipe that these remind me of. A hit with the coworkers"
"Great recipe!! I reduced the sugar to 1 3/4 cups, but the next time, I think I will try using only 1 1/2 cups. Also, to reduce the amount of oil, I always use 1/2 cup canola oil and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce. Fill the cups about 3/4 full and bake at 375* for approx. 20 minutes. I sometimes frost the cupcakes with cream cheese or vanilla buttercream frosting. Wonderful with or without frosting! I have prepared this recipe in a loaf pan for a bread and a jelly roll pan with the baking times adjusted. Excellent recipe!!"
"This recipe was great! It was fun to make. My soccer team loved them and got many comments from them. They are really good too!"
"My 6-year old granddaughter made these as part of our "cooking classes." They are wonderful if you like the fruit and nut taste. I was especially pleased to hear her 9 year old brother claim, "They didn't need frosting," as he explained his reasons for snitching!"
"A huge favorite!"
"These were so easy to make and sooooo tasty!"