The spotlight shines on these confections every time Sharon Kotsovos serves them. "The sugar cookies themselves are so yummy," she attests from Coos Bay, Oregon. "But they're even better when I decorate them."
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Red and black liquid food coloring
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white baking chips
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream butter, oil and sugars until light and fluffy. Add two eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cream of tartar and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. round cookie cuter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, beat remaining eggs. Add red food coloring; mix well. Brush over cutouts.
- Bake at 375° for 8 minutes. With a small new paintbrush and black food coloring, paint two lines, forming wings.
- Arrange four chocolate chips in a half circle on the top third of each cookie. Randomly place 16 chocolate chips on the lower part of the cookie for spots. Return to the oven for 1 minute or until chips are melted. Spread the four chips to form the head.
- For eyes, position two white chips, pointed side down, over melted chocolate. Return to the oven for 1 minute or until slightly melted. Place one miniature chocolate chip in the center of each white chip. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Ladybug Cookies in Country Woman May/June 2001, p30
Reviews for Homemade Ladybug Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review