Homemade Ladybug Cookies Recipe
The spotlight shines on these confections every time Sharon Kotsovos serves them. "The sugar cookies themselves are so yummy," she attests from Coos Bay, Oregon. "But they're even better when I decorate them."
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Red and black liquid food coloring
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white baking chips
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream butter, oil and sugars until light and fluffy. Add two eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cream of tartar and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. round cookie cuter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, beat remaining eggs. Add red food coloring; mix well. Brush over cutouts.
- Bake at 375° for 8 minutes. With a small new paintbrush and black food coloring, paint two lines, forming wings.
- Arrange four chocolate chips in a half circle on the top third of each cookie. Randomly place 16 chocolate chips on the lower part of the cookie for spots. Return to the oven for 1 minute or until chips are melted. Spread the four chips to form the head.
- For eyes, position two white chips, pointed side down, over melted chocolate. Return to the oven for 1 minute or until slightly melted. Place one miniature chocolate chip in the center of each white chip. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Ladybug Cookies in Country Woman May/June 2001, p30
Reviews for Homemade Ladybug Cookies(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Cookie Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies >
- Desserts >