Gumdrop Cookies Recipe
These fun cookies are chock-full of chewy gumdrops. I use red and green ones at Christmas, black and orange for Halloween and pastel shades for Easter. I've made this recipe for years and find that kids really get a kick out of the cookies with a candy surprise inside!
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fruit-flavored or spiced gumdrops
- 2 egg whites
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in gumdrops.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into dough.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Gumdrop Cookies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p30
Reviews for Gumdrop Cookies(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2012
These are a soft, chewy cookie that is very pretty on a tray. Be sure to add them to your X-mas cookie rotation!