Both our two children and grandchildren love these fine-textured sweet rolls. We have our own orange, lime and grapefruit trees, and it's such a pleasure to go out and pick fruit right off the tree. —Norma Poole, Auburndale, Florida
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 to 5 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, shortening, sugar, salt, egg and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; set aside.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each half into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Spread half the filling on each rectangle. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long end. Cut each into 15 rolls.
- Place, cut side down, in two greased 11x7-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; spread over warm rolls.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unrisen rolls. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Let rise, covered, in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Bake and frost rolls as directed. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Grandma's Orange Rolls in Taste of Home February/March 1994
Reviews for Grandma's Orange Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review