- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 to 5 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, shortening, sugar, salt, egg and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; set aside.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each half into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Spread half the filling on each rectangle. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long end. Cut each into 15 rolls.
- Place, cut side down, in two greased 11x7-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. In a small bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar, butter, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; spread over warm rolls.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unrisen rolls. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Let rise, covered, in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Bake and frost rolls as directed. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Grandma's Orange Rolls
Sort By :
"Should I have used rapid rise yeast?"
"Delicious! Everyone raves about these rolls and wants the recipe."
"I have used this recipe for years at Christmas and Thanksgiving gatherings. The dough is a wonderful all-purpose sweet roll dough that can be used to make cinnamon rolls also. These always receive rave reviews from my family."
"You can also add some orange or lemon zest to the icing. Very tasty rolls!"