This is our family's very favorite cookie recipe. I've never tasted any like it! The oatmeal raisin cookies freeze well, too. —Susanne Spicker, North Ogden, Utah
- 2 cups raisins, chopped
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- Place raisins in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass. Bake at 325° for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Grandma's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 2011, p115
Reviews for Grandma's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review