Fun and festive, these cookie sandwich trees will be a huge hit with kids of all ages. They're a super-cute holiday treat! —Steve Foy, Kirkwood, Missouri
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- M&M's minis
- 3/4 cup vanilla or chocolate frosting
- Green food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses. Combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, ginger and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness.
- Cut with a floured 3-in. tree-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Gently press M&M's into half of the cookies.
- Bake at 325° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- If using vanilla frosting, tint green if desired. Spread frosting over the bottoms of plain cookies; top with decorated cookies. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Gingerbread Sandwich Trees in Simple & Delicious November/December 2009, p57
Reviews for Gingerbread Sandwich Trees
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review