Sweet and tangy, this Italian condiment is packed with peppers, cauliflower, carrots and other crisp-tender veggies. It’s perfect to offer alongside pickles or olives on a relish tray.
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons canning salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 2 small heads cauliflower, broken into small florets (about 12 cups)
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 48 pearl onions, peeled and trimmed (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 4 large sweet red peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 serrano peppers, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 10 bay leaves
- 20 whole peppercorns
- 10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- In a large kettle, combine the vinegar, sugar, water, canning salt, oregano and fennel seed. Bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower, carrots, celery, and onions; return to a boil. Remove from the heat; add peppers.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2 in. headspace. Add a bay leaf, 2 peppercorns and a few slices of garlic to each jar. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 10 pints.
Originally published as Giardiniera in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p63
Reviews for Giardiniera(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review