German-Style Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Comforting and filling, these tangy potatoes will warm up any meal, especially one with a German flair. They’re a fitting accompaniment to sausages like bratwurst. —Alena Horn, Austin, Texas
- 3 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add apples; cook 10 minutes longer or until potatoes and apples are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onions until lightly browned.
- Drain potatoes and apples. Add sugar, vinegar and salt; mash slightly. Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with onions and bacon. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as German-Style Mashed Potatoes in Taste of Home August/September 2006, p29
Reviews for German-Style Mashed Potatoes(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- German Recipes >
- German Side Dishes >
- Mashed Potato Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >