- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake).
- For topping, combine butter and brown sugar in a large bowl. Add the coconut, pecans, corn syrup and milk; mix well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto warm brownies; spread evenly.
- Broil 6 in. from the heat for 2-4 minutes or until top is browned and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars Yield: 16 brownies.
Reviews for German Chocolate Brownies
Sort By :
These are so good! I agree with others that the brownie part is a little on the dry side (I cooked for only 15 mins exactly) but that's doesn't bother me much, they are more cakey than fudgey, but I might try just putting the topping on my usual brownie recipe next time though because I don't have to buy German chocolate for that either.
Very quick and easy to make. The taste is awesome. Perfect as a gift during the holiday season.
I agree, the flavor of these is wonderful but the brownie turned out pretty dry. I think next time I will underbake them before I add the topping, so when I put them back in to broil they won't overcook and dry out. I'm pretty sure thats what happened because it took much longer than 5 minutes on broil for my topping to cook right. Still the flavor was amazing, and I ate them with vanilla ice cream to counter-act the dryness of the brownie!
These are good. My only complaint is that I would prefer the base to be a little more moist.