- 4 large baking potatoes (about 2-3/4 pounds)
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Bake potatoes at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until tender; cool completely. Peel and cube potatoes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream. Add potatoes and green onions. Garnish with bacon and cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Baked Potato Soup
Sort By :
"Really easy and very good. I even had enough to share at work."
"I have made this and it is totally delicious. Thank you for the recipe."
"I have made this soup forever...still have the original magazine it was featured in many years ago!"
"Try it with 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 stick butter and swiss cheese instead of flour and cheddar cheese. Omit the 2/3 cup butter. Only 3 1/2 cups milk. 10 potatoes. Best ever."
"Liked it very much. A good basic recipe that can be changed up. I subbed lite cream for 1 c of the milk- not sure if that was the sole reason it was so thick! I also added 2 chicken bouillon cubes, garlic, cheddar and bacon. Would be great with ham! Thanks for sharing the recipe!"