My grandchildren love these sandwiches. I like the recipe because it can be made ahead of time and keeps well in a slow cooker. I've found that it freezes well, too. —Patricia Ringle, Edgar, Wisconsin
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 8 sandwich buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, water, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, chili powder and allspice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each bun. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Family-Pleasing Sloppy Joes in Taste of Home June/July 2007, p18
Reviews for Family-Pleasing Sloppy Joe Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review