- 1 package (40 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed or 2-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries
- 5 pounds sugar
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- Grind strawberries and cranberries in a food processor or grinder; place in a Dutch oven. Add sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in pectin and return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Cool for 5 minutes; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about 14 half-pints.
Reviews for Christmas Jam
Sort By :
"I make this every Christmas since the recipe appeared in the magazine as a winner. It's also great as an icecream topping, so I'm told. My friends and family absolutely love it. Thanks."
"I felt I had to mention something about how some people were saying they didn't can this, just got the jars hot and put the lids on. The purpose of canning would be to kill mold spores or other bad things, and also to expel the air so a vacuum is created. If something was just put in hot jars with a lid put on, it might seal but there is still air in the jar and bad stuff could grow in there. If you don't want to can it for whatever reason, you could freeze it or keep it in the fridge, but it's risky to just leave it on the shelf without properly canning it."
"I really wanted to make this recipe as directed, but could not find any cranberries as they were not in season, but I had a bunch of strawberries that had to be used. Thus, I substituted blueberries for the cranberries. Cut back the sugar to 4 lbs, added 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp orange flavoring. The results were outstanding. I look forward to making this recipe when I can find cranberries."
"This is probably my most favorite of all my jam recipes. Deliciously sweet and tart. I freeze cranberries when they are in stores during the holidays and then make this jam when strawberries are in season."
"I have been making this jam since 1994. I love, love, LOVE it! Its one of my favorite jams! In my top three favorite!"