- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking cocoa, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, water, oil, vinegar and vanilla until well blended. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sifted cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture, beating until smooth.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, sift confectioners' sugar and cocoa together. In a large bowl, beat butter and vanilla until blended. Beat in confectioners' sugar mixture alternately with enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
"One of my absolute favorite cakes, super easy and moist!"
"Easy to make and great chocolate flavor! It is very moist!"
"I had to make a birthday cake for a friend who can't eat eggs and this cake was absolutely perfect. Everyone raved about it and no one knew it didn't have any eggs. The second time I made it, I used dairy-free margarine for the frosting and no one picked up on that either. I highly recommend this recipe for a quick and easy dessert."